Banner image: Video still from "String" by Karen Y. Chan - karenychan.com
77Art is thrilled to launch its inaugural artist residency program, which will be held during the month of August 2018. Six visual artists will be selected for this self-directed residency. The residency is designed to give emerging artists time and space to create new works and expand their practice. Our private studios are spacious with large windows that provide ample natural light and their proximity allows for the right balance of privacy and community. There are no requirements that artists complete projects during their stay at 77Art, however the residency will culminate in an exhibition of resident work. Our emphasis is on community outreach and artists should come prepared to interact with the public during open studios and be present at events throughout the residency period.
What we offer
- Private studio workspaces
- Private and semiprivate bedrooms with shared kitchen, living room, and bath.
- One shared meal daily except Sunday
- Promotions and events
- Membership and access at The Mint, a local maker- space equipped with full wood shop, metal shop, and and digital fabrication lab.
- Limited fellowships available to artists in need of financial aid
- Access to public library
- Exhibition space
- Residency Consortium with The Carving Studio & Sculpture Center
- Exhibition at the close of residency
What we ask
- $400 tuition contribution
- Artist talk, or interactive program proposal
- Attendance at events programming during residency period
- Presentation of a short one-day workshop for youth in the community
- Donation of a small artwork at residency end
Successful applicants will be:
- 25 years of age or older
- Artists working in any medium so long as the artist feels that their practice can be supported by the facilities available.
- Emerging and mid-career artists with a focus on artists in the early stages of their career development.
- Applicants must be available to work on site for the full duration of the residency.
- Applicants must disclose any responsibilities that might call them away during the residency period.
- Artists who are NOT enrolled in a degree program during the residency period. However those set to graduate May 2018 are encouraged to apply.